Blogosphere on Magnitsky
Sergei Magnitsky is a young Russian anti-corruption lawyer who died at the hands of Russian police officers whom he implicated in the theft of $230 million. After Magnitsky testified about their corruption, the officers arrested him and tortured him for 12 months in pre-trial detention. They denied him human dignity, any contact with the family and life-saving medical treatment. Despite this cruel treatment, Sergei did not give in to their pressure to withdraw his testimony. On 11 November 2009, he filed a complaint with the court stating his determination to bring to justice the corrupt officers involved in his persecution and the falsification of the case against him. On 16 November 2009, he died in custody at the age of 37.
Despite the public outrage caused by his death, today these corrupt officers remain in their high-powered jobs, receive promotions and spend their ill-gotten money.
Let everybody know what you think about their impunity. Stop the Untouchables on this website’s blog here.
Read select blog comments about Sergei Magnitsky and the crimes he exposed below:
- La Russophobe, “Russia is a Mafia State” August 1, 2009 (http://larussophobe.wordpress.com/2009/08/01/editorial-russia-is-a-mafia-state)
- Zero Hedge, “The Sad Story of Hermitage Capital Management,” October 9, 2009 (http://www.zerohedge.com/article/sad-story-hermitage-capital-management)
- Business Insider, “How Corrupt Russian Officials Looted Hermitage Capital,” October 9, 2009 (http://www.businessinsider.com/hedge-fund-investing-in-russia-2009-10)
- La Russophobe, “More Blood on Vladimir Putin’s Hands!” November 17, 2009 (http://larussophobe.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/editorial-more-blood-on-vladimir-putins-hands/)
- Robert Amsterdam, “The Return of Medical Blackmail,” November 17, 2009 (http://www.robertamsterdam.com/2009/11/the_return_of_medical_blackmail.htm)
- Huffington Post, “The Murder of Russian Rule of Law,” November 19, 2009 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-amsterdam/the-murder-of-russian-rul_b_363599.html)
- Pajamas Media, “Putin Murders Another Lawyer,” November 21, 2009 (http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/putin-murders-another-lawyer/)
- Investment Linebacker, “Hermitage Capital’s Tribute to Sergei Magnitsky,” December 14, 2009 (http://investmentlinebacker.blogspot.com/search/label/Bill%20Browder)
- Walter Duranty Report, “The Sergei Magnitsky Murder: the Siloviki Circle the Wagons,” January 21, 2010 (http://walterdurantyreport.blogspot.com/2010/01/sergei-magnitsky-murder-siloviki-circle.html)
- La Russophobe, “Yes, Ban Those Russians!” April 27, 2010 (http://larussophobe.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/yes-ban-those-russians)
- the sad red earth, “Official Corruption and Death in Russia” April 27, 2010.
- The blog with no name, “LIFE OF LUXURY DOESN’T COME CHEAP” April 27, 2010.